Traits are one of the ways you will be able to continue improving your character as you level, and customize your build to suit your combat style. In this guide we’ll explain how the trait system works, the direct impact traits will have on your attributes, and how traits factor into your overall character build.
As part of the natural level progression of your character in PvE and World-versus-World (WvW), you will unlock access to the trait system once you reach level 11. From this point on you will gain 1 additional trait point each time you level, for a total of 70 trait points by the time you reach level 80. If you’re stepping directly into the Mists for structured PvP (sPvP) – regardless of your character level – you will automatically be scaled up to level 80, so all 70 trait points will be available to use.
Traits serve a couple of very important functions for your character:
- Each point spent will improve 2 of your Attributes, thereby improving your effectiveness in combat
- Traits will also improve or enhance different skill lines, weapon sets, profession mechanics, or combat actions, allowing you a certain amount of flexibility in how your build function
- There is a healthy amount of skill types available to the guardian, some are unique and some are not, but ultimately each one fits in with the general theme of the profession. Below is a list of the skill types and their unique distinctions.
- Consecration: These work exactly like symbols, except that they’re more support oriented and last a bit longer. They are not ground targeted, unless you get the Consecrated Ground trait.
- Chain: A series of three skills that happen in succession. Each skill must connect for the next one to activate.
- Meditations: These skills allow the guardian to teleport.
- Shouts: Instant AoE support abilities.
- Signet: Applies a passive effect until activated, putting that effect on cooldown for an activated effect.
- Spirit Weapons: Summons conjured spirit weapons that fight alongside the guardian, until consumed for a special attack. You can avoid consuming the spirit weapon with the Eternal Spirit trait.
- Symbols: Short duration attacks/support on the ground around the guardian.
- Tome: A conjured weapon that replaces your primary skillbar with five new abilities for a brief duration.
- Wards: Creates impassable terrain on the ground.
As you can see, there is a lot of variety when it comes to the guardian and a lot of abilities that both work in an offensive, defense, and support role all in one. This makes the guardian profession very versatile. Mastering each of the skill sets is tad amount to mastering the profession.
Traits can modify some of the skills, like Consecrated Ground allows you to target your consecrations. When making your build, you’re going to want to focus on a few skill types, then build your traits up around them to boost them and make them more effective.